The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Coming home after work means coming home to more work!

Thats how it usually is. I work with my father part time in his construction business. Let me tell you, its a great way to get lots of cuts and scars. Well at least if someone asks you "how did you get that?!", at least you can tell an interesting story for that particular scar. I'm only kidding, though. On a serious note, we should always ask ourselves and others who are following the stock market about any stock that moves up or down. Their is always a story that is told in a price move of +7% as well as a price move of -5%. This goes for any stock you own or are planning on purchasing! Always know why a stock moves the way it does!
The best way to do this is to do simple research. You can use a wide variety of online programs such as AOL Finance, Yahoo Finance, Market Watch and many others including an online brokerage program such as E Trade, AmeriTrade, etc. Your last resort should be the Yahoo stock message boards, lol. If you need more help, it would even be wise to contact a professional broker. Make sure you pick one that is actually into stocks and not just into ripping you off in commission. The ones that can talk on and on about stocks and seem excited talking about stocks, are the ones that actually like stocks. The rest are their just to sell you 200 shares of BS and 500 shares of DNF (Dreams N Fantasies Inc). Heck, you can ask me if you want, and I'll try to dig something up! If I can't find anything, I'll let you know and direct you to someone who I know can.

I've been hearing a lot of about Gateway Inc (GTW). Is it a buy or a sell or a hold. Let me tell you something, there has been some massive insider selling lately. I say, if you made a little profit, take it and run. I really don't trust GTW. I know its cheap and you can buy a lot of shares, blah bla blah! If you like computer companies, go to AAPL.

Columbus Mckinnon (CMCO) was on fire today! It rocketed into a new 52 wk high of 22.75 and closed at 22.34. This was a whole +1.51 (+7.25%) change! Did I mention this is going to 25 soon?

Solexa Inc (SLXA) SLXA is hot once again! And on low volume! Gotta love it! 5.89/5.60, baby!

Novavex Inc (NVAX) was up today. NVAX hit a HOD of 1.84 and closed at 1.72 (+0.21/+13.91%) on news of a vaccine pact with Wave BioTech to make vaccines on a commercial scale. I must issue a warning though. Although some directors are still buying, one director dropped 260,000 shares at 1.57. It makes you wonder if NVAX will soon run out of steam. Big Dave warned me of insider selling by institutions a few days ago. Both of us agreed that company insider sells would raise a red flag. I say take profits everytime the stock runs up like this and buy on dips as long as more insiders keep buying or at least aren't selling. It is better to play it as a small trade, several times than to hold onto your investment and risk it. Short term trades are neccessary in this fickle market.

Corning (GLW) also hit a new 52wk high of 21.95. The stock closed at 21.74 for a +0.54/+2.55% gain! Not bad!

For Wednsday, September 14, keep an eye on SMMU, EBDC, TRMS, AIRM, NVAX, PETC, PCTY, REDE, PEC, EMCI, JMDT, DISK, STV, SFP, OVEN and GSL. Keep a good eye out for the previous Insider Buy stocks that I have mentioned and buy on dips. Stocks such as GSL, CT and a few other stocks have dipped down and are good buys at this level. Also pay close attention to stocks in the construction, construction equipment, and homebuilding sectors in the upcoming, days, weeks and months. This is because 160,000 homes will need to be built because of Katrina. Like I said, if you make money off of a stock that has benefitted because of Katrina, you should donate some of the profits to the RedCross or over organization that provides aid to the victims. I believe it is a good idea and the RIGHT thing to do.
Okay, I'm off to bed! Happy trading tomm!

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM , Blogger Nick M. said...

hey Dave

good to hear from you! Yeah I noticed your blog isn't working, that sucks to hear! I hope you do start up the blog again soon, because your contributions and insight are is always great! Yeah working with my dad can hurt sometimes, but It definatly doesn't hurt on the pocket, lol. Unfortunatly going to school does not leave me that much time to work, but oh well. Anyways Dave, get that blog up and running! And good luck with it! This time, no messing around with the HTML, code, ok? lol just playing, though
Later Dave

-Nick M H

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Mandy

hey sounds like you enjoy your Virus hobby and thats cool. Just make sure you don't give one to me, ok? lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz