The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Despite Fears of an Imminent Market Correction, Several Bullish Chart Patterns Emerge- Part 1

Assuming the market will be able to continue to hold itself up, there still isn't a shortage of buy-able chart setups on certain stocks. Sure, the next batch of breakouts and moves may be from more speculative issues, but when the object is to make some money and a decent return, who cares? This is definitely becoming a traders market.

The fears of a correction stem from two sources. The first source is the fact that the market has been performing "too well" and that it is technically due for a pullback. The second may stem from the speculative nature of the stocks that are starting to appear. There are many new and speculative issues with no earnings making new highs. Many of them are China stocks. This action is similar to the dot com era where risky, debt-loaded issues began to appear and make huge moves based solely on the fact that they were Internet companies. Could we be seeing the same thing with China stocks? My opinion is, not yet. As euphoric as the move in China stocks has been, it wasn't that spectacular.

The only thing that I'm implying is to use caution. The trend is still up and that simply means to continue to buy. Of course, one should be more cautious when dealing with speculative issues. For instance, do not put as much money in a speculative issue as you would in a higher-priced stock with an earnings track record. It is not worth risking it. I use the same strategy and always allocate less funds to speculative stocks.

8 Comments:

At 12:25 PM , Blogger Chakri said...

Blage logic left my stocks bleeding.. got out... sqnm was good to me, bought some coule weeks ago..
I think ICO got a shot. to go furthur up..

 
At 12:39 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey Raj,

Yeah Blade Logic definitely sucked. SQNM continues to look good and is a winner as long as the momentum in genetic stocks continues. Nice job on grabbing it before its ascent. ICO may be coming off a bottom but for now, I don't like it very much as it hasn't even climbed above its 200 day MA. Anwyays, good luck with SQNM...

-Nick

 
At 1:00 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Nick,

Do you use any indicators to determine the health of the market and whether to stay in or get out?

 
At 5:34 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey Scott,

I use a few indicators. First, I pay attention the amount of stocks that are making new 52 highs vs 52wk lows. I try to see which/what kinds of stocks are showing strength. Certain stocks (like defensive stocks) appear to make new highs or show strength when the market is ready to tank. I also use a little TA to look at the charts of the indices to determine whether the market has support or resistance at certain levels. In the end, my ultimate indicator goes on a stock by stock basis. If the stocks that I'm holding to are performing well, I continue to keep them and add to them. If they drop 7-8% from where I bought them, then I get rid of them. Sometimes I also look at investor sentiment to see how individual traders and investors feel about the market. Usually when everyone is bearish, its time to buy and vice versa. So far, those are the indicators that I use. What about you?

-Nick

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Scott said...

I've been intrigued by StockBee's market monitor and I look at moving averages on the broad markets but basically I generally have no good idea where the market is headed.

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey Scott,

StockBees market monitor sounds pretty interesting. Do you have a link? As far as the markets direction is concerned, even with the few indicators that I use, I usually just go with the flow. I wish there was a definite way to know exactly how the market will act a certain day. On second thought, that would take the fun out of it as well. The daily uncertainty of the market is what keeps everything fresh, new and exciting. JMHO...

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Chakri said...

What you think of PKI.. its been on move for a while..

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Raj,

PKI is alright. I've been watching this one for a few weeks but I haven't found anything special in its chart. PKI has been in an uptrend since it reclaimed its 50 and 200 day MA back in Dec '06. While its a good stock, unless it gets a takeover/merger deal or announces a significant deal or contract, it wont produce a significant return in a short time frame. Anyway, if you want to play it, now is a good time to buy it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz