The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Learning from ones Mistakes...

Hey folks,



Despite a modest amount of great calls, I do occasionally become wrapped in a stock pick. Color Kinetics (CLRK) is one of them. The funny thing is, we never realize how crappy the stock was since the begining until AFTER we get our a$$ handed back to us. Looking at the chart, I begin to see an ugly and inconsistant chart pattern that should've been obvious from the start. Also, the stock had run up before earnings. This is usually a hype thing, rather than a logical behavior. Most stocks actually experience a little sell off before earnings a released. A positive move such as that shows over confidence in a stock and this is not always a good thing. If everyone is long and everyone has high expectations in the stock, then what happens when, God forbid, it falters by just a cent? There you have it. Also the chart pattern was a double top formation. Besides the high expectations, thats about it. Still, its more than a handful of good reasons why I shouldn't have bought the stock. Too bad I couldn't see all those reasons before I put my hard earned money and good faith in CLRK. Never again. I plan on learning from this mistake the best way I can. I used to just simply use insider buys and technicals and chart patterns to pick stocks. This definatly works, but it misses out on other important key factors, such as earnings growth. I thought CLRK would have earnins growth, but those other factors should have deterred me from buying. I should've waited AFTER earnings were released and then made a decision. Anyways, a new strategy is to focus on stocks showing tremendous earnings growth, after the fact that they showed the actual growth (beat the numbers). I will post some stocks in the next post. Later...

5 Comments:

At 2:34 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey whats up One in 6+ billion...

talk about one in 6 billion, look at the action on HANS?! Hard to believe this stock was under 15 a little over 2yrs ago. Its all about finding stocks like HANS ( I wish it were that easy). Anyways, before I go off on a rant, first off thanks for checking out my site.
Lol, yes CLRK was a decieving one. Sorry to hear that you got sucked up into it as well..I share your pain on it. Yes, lesson is definitly learnt. I checked out SFPS. I noticed some accumulation in SFPS as more money flowing into the stock, which of course is good. RS is indecisive for the moment as the stock is traveling a little below its 50day MA. I see some pretty positive news about increases in transactions which is also good. I am starting to avoid playing too many pennies (with the exception of .OB's like BRVO) My take is if you have a small position, hold onto it. Since the stock is already below the 50 day, I wouldn't add more unless it closes above it or it pops up more with some more positive news. A close below the 0.05 level is going to wreck havoc on it, so keep an eye on that as well. Hope this helps.

 
At 12:32 AM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey,

Its no problem. I don't get that many visitors to the site ( I like to keep it low key), so its all good.
Definatly keep the ethanol stocks handy. Also check out ANDE, as it is on fire as well. Another stock I like (not necessarily ethanol related) is CRESY and POT. Both are in agriculture as well. Also keep STKL on the radar as well. Again, Im not too crazy about the penny stocks during a market rally, but DPHIQ looks okay technically. I wouldnt be surprised if it floats back down to a little above .75 before heading back up. If it violates .75, get rid of it (even if its still technically above its 50 day MA). Anyway I'm very busy with finals, so I skimmed through your post. You want a couple of mineral/metal plays? I like NXG, NTO and QEE off the top of my head. There is another one I like but I can't remember the ticker...damn lol. Anwyays, I'll let ya know when it comes to me. I like QEE the best as it has more room to run and is starting to get picked up by the momo traders. This can lead to lots of fun. Enjoy!

 
At 1:29 AM , Blogger Nick M. said...

ahhh..now I remember...

For metal/mineral stocks, also check out RBY and AAU.

So QEE, RBY and AAU
and NTO and NXG for more established names. Also, you cant go wrong with bigger stocks such as BBL, AAUK and PCU.

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey,

Good call with Delphi today! Also, did you take a look at OWENQ? Once it emerges from bankruptcy, the stock will go flying. It may be worth a small investment. CKCRQ looks good. It looks like a similar company to Delphi. Hard to believe it was a 5 dollar stock. Anyways, it seems like CKCRQ is attempted to begin a rounding bottom formation. I see there is some buying interest since late March (which helped bring it up above its 50 day). Todays action seems to be in sympathy of Delphi. Todays buying was pretty good. If you want in, now is the time to jump in. If the stock closes below 0.055 then forget it.

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey,

Of course most metal/mineral stocks are over extended. They have been for weeks. I offered you a few metal/mineral stocks suggestions. AAU and QEE haven't faltered that much. Anyways, I thought you were already in Dephi?? Regardless its up, along with OWENQ. I can't recommend you getting into OWENQ unless you recognize the risks. If it really is going to exit bankruptcy, then it will really appreciate in price. I'm talking about a big gain. BUT! If it doesn't, well its back under a dollar once again. So becareful. I wouldn't jump into any stock just yet as the markets are very volatile. Wait until the skys clear and the market message is clearer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz