The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Earnings Watch for July 16 - 20

Here are several stocks that one should keep an eye on for this week. They are reporting earnings and may report an earnings surprise. If you are feeling lucky, jump in early. If you are feeling sensible, then wait until earnings are announced and then jump in and ride the stock up. I was able to jump into PENX and RBN after earnings were announced and even so, I was still able to make a nice return.

The stocks: BNSO, FORR, ARTW, CPSS, CSX, CCK, FELE, MTOX, CHIP, CAVM, DST, NVEC, PKG, QEPC, SMIT, SLGN, TRNS, VMI, ALDN, AME, KNX, AVCI, BMI, BZC?, FNSR, IIIN, ISIG, INSW, LSTR, LCCI, MATW, NETC, UTMD, NAFC, PTEC, ACO, SCHL, ALY, ACU, DSWL, GAP, IUSA, KCI, LINE, SMXC, RIMG, ORB, OMCL, NICH

Some of these are low market cap and low float stocks. These tend to be really volatile, so watch your entry. Also note that I have not listed all the stocks that are reporting. I simply listed the stocks that I am planning on keeping an eye on. I am not very intrested in any large caps, blue chip or household name stocks that may be reporting. I like to go for the ones that very few people talk about or even know about. That's just my style. For a more comprehensive list of earnings releasing stocks (including blue chips and household names), check out Bloomberg, Market Watch or Yahoo Finance...

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM , Blogger A said...

Question on how you generally play these earnings announcements. Suppose a company reports after the market close... do you wait until after the company reports and initiate a position the next morning or do you initiate a position prior to the announcement in anticipation?

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

It really depends on a number of things. If I have been following the company/stock and am almost certain that earnings have been improving, then I will jump in before hand. I also usually jump in low float stocks before earnings are announced (again, it also depends if earnings have been improving-like JCTCF). On stocks that I am not so familiar with, I wait until after earnings are announced and jump in whenever I spot a good entry. For instance with PENX and RBN, I jumped in after earnings were announced and snuck in a position and have added everytime they dipped down. As far as knowing if a stock is worth going long after an earnings announcement, you can take a look at several things. You need to see if earnings have improved dramatically, quarter after quarter and see if they upped guidance for next quarter. You don't want to jump in a mediocre earnings stock play that has already jumped 20%, only to have it fall a few days later. As you can see, you have to factor in all these different scenarios. For instance, with ARTW, which has earnings coming up, I will probably initiate a position before earnings are announced since it is a low float stock and I am expecting them to show strong earnings. Still, nothing is 100% sure so I will start with a small position and add more if I am right. If I am wrong, I simply sell my small position at a loss.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz