The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Dow takes a Nose Dive while NASDAQ holds tight



Hey folks,

Getting pretty busy right now, with the end of the semester and all that. So I'll be brief and post some info. Today, the Dow took a dive of -82.29 on fears strong growth in the GDP (lol hey who figured this was supposed to be a bad thing!) and of course, rising interest rates (this rising interest rates play is becoming out of style). The NASDAQ (which we can see is in rally mode -because of the strong tech, internet and healthcare, retail and bio-tech comeback) actually closed up a few cents (+0.11). The S&P also closed down (-8.00).

So who did well today?

Plexus Inc (PLXS) which I have mentioned over a week ago at 20.10 (check out Plexus is Next on the List article on November 17, 2005) has hit a new 52wk high and a closed at the high of the day at 21.50

Plexus Inc (PLXS) 3 month chart

The stock is still showing strength as is the industry that PLXS is part of. I expect the stock to continue its rise (although a few bumps in the road should be expected) possibly even hitting 23.50 or higher. Notice that the Money Flow for PLXS has been down for a while and is starting to trend the positive area. Any new Institutional Ownership at this point will and can send this stock thru the roof!









Also, I'm back into American Retirement Corp (ACR). I sold my original position in the low-high 24 dollar range. I bought a few shares yesterday at the low 24 and mid to high 23 dollar range. Its a small position, so we'll see how that goes. I still like the stock, but I am worried that the Frist family name is associated with ACR. This could potentially lead the stock to its doom, so I am very careful with this. If there are no bumps in the road, ACR can easily see 27 bucks shortly. If not, its back down to 18 we go.

American Retirement Corp (ACR) 3 month chart


I have mentioned ACR numerous times, recommending it between a range of prices (high 16's -18). The first time I mentioned ACR was on September 4th, 2005 (My Real #1 Stock Pick is... article). ACR is currently trading at 24.62.











Solexa Inc (SLXA), one of my first picks, also had a nice day. SLXA has been flying all over the place the last few weeks, as the stock is trying to establish a sound following and a better chart. I believe that the stock has finally achieved both. At 8.79, SLXA may be offering a nice buy stage for the 2nd time (first time was when I mentioned it when it was no more than high 4's low 5's).

Solexa Inc (SLXA) 3 month chart

SLXA is currently trading at 8.79. Nice chart now, huh? My opinion is that it went up wayyy to fast for its own good. The top and pullback gave a good opportunity for a 1st stage profit (for those who got in early) and a nice 2nd chance to buy. Those who were unfortunate to buy at the top, have a chance to redeem themeselves, lol.










One stock that I am dissapointed to see drop, is Birner Dental Managment Services inc (BDMS). So yeah the stock has dropped to 17.85. The funny thing is, managment has issued a stock buy-back plan. Hmm..seem a little suspicious?! I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock drop a little more so that they can load up like crazy. I say you follow their lead and load up as well once the stock reverses its trend.



Birner Dental Managment Services Inc (BDMS) 3 month Chart

Gee, I wish I mentioned it as a buy here. But I didn't, my bad. Anyway, its still a buy in my book. I always treat a drop or a pullback as a buying opportunity on a good stock (as long as their aren't any skeletons in their closets that caused the drop).











Titanium Metals Corp (TIE) has been en fuego for a few weeks now. I know I recommended the stock in the past and I hope a few of you caught on to it. I first noticed it a while ago (before the split). Once the split had occured, insiders bought in like crazy in the 30 dollar range. At 63.15, it has practically doubled. The stock was downgraded by LongBow (what crack-a$$ firm is that, lol..), which I never heard of and obviously neither did anyone else (thats why its still going up, despite the stupid downgrade). So I guess LongBow wants to get in and grab some shares. Where were you LongBow when the stock was at 40 bucks?! Obviously not in TIE, thats for sure! My opinion, you can play it like your name's Mr. Risk and buy between low 60's and 62, or wait for a consolidation. Its up to you. This stock could realisticly hit 90 bucks. It is only trading at 18x earnings, which isn't bad. Anyway, the choice is up to you, just be careful buying at these levels. Buy a little by little, and take advantage of key dips and retreats near the 50day Ma.

Titanium Metals Corp (TIE) 3 month chart

Friggin' Sweet! I really like this chart, but with the 50day Ma at 46, its gots to come down, at least a little!











Questcor Pharmaceuticals (QSC) at 0.91 is a small biopharma company that I picked a few weeks back due to the increase in insider buying (actually, pretty nice insider buying). The stock took a big pop at that time and then slowly drifted down to the .70 cent range, where insiders loaded up even more. Finally its starting to form a more clear uptrend channel.

Questcor Pharmaceuticals (QSC) 3 month chart

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM , Blogger Matthew Theal said...

Hey Nick,
Yah it was an ugly day to day. But I think the selling is over, I see a lot of cheap stocks out there, and I made some forced sells today which normally means the worst is past us. I liked your calls on the toy sector should be hot with christmas. I'm sure youve heard of this stock but I'am also warming up to Leap Frog (LF), they make some smart pen, along with other educational tools for kids. The stock is also Cramer backed. I'm hearing that the pen is actually selling, so that could be a postive for the stock.
I go to school at Cal Poly Pomona (California), Finance major, 19 yrs old. What about you?
Good luck out there...
Matt

 
At 1:11 AM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Hey whats up Matt

I agree, today was another crap day. So far, its been like 3 in a row. Thanks, I'm glad you liked the toy post. I didn't really get a chance to elaborate on it (I have like no time!), but I agree, the toy sector should see an X-mas bounce, plus its been down for a long time. LF is not a bad stock, but my opinion is that its not ready to bounce up just yet. I like the product (the smart pen) but not the stock right now. The chart is looking bad, plus there is alot of selling by individual investors. Institutions won't even touch this thing until it completley bottoms out. Keep an eye on it though. As far as Cramer goes, he knows his stuff, but I don't think its time yet (for LF). Like I said though, keep an eye on it. If the pen sells really well, it will be reflected in the stock price. Finance major? Thats cool, I was thinking about that but instead I'm going for Psychology right now. I just started getting into stocks about 7 months ago and I'm starting to wonder if I should've went for Finance as well, lol. I'm 24 right now (yeah I know, I'm old, lol). Anyways, I have a ton of Hw and tests to study for, so I'm out for now.
Good luck to you and happy trading!

-Nick

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz