The Ambitious Trader: Stocks, Trading, Investing..My Ambitions as a Trader and Investor

This is a one way ticket that takes you on a wonderful journey into the vast world that is the stock market through my eyes, my point of view.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Game of Guess the Markets Future Direction

This is exactly how I feel. I feel as if I'm always scratching my head trying to figure out if we'll be heading up or down in the near term. At the moment, volatility is low and investors have calmed their nerves. And with the DJIA and the other indices reclaiming their 50 day MA's, why should they? But still, there is plenty of resistance to go through. I've said it a few weeks ago: Even if we climb back above the 200 day MA, I do not believe that we will stay afloat long enough to build a base. This isn't the first time this has happened. Feel free to check some historical chart action to see what I am talking about. Even in a downtrend, the indices cannot just go straight down. They trade sideways and even rally at times. But they always seem to hit an invisible barrier or resistance. If you look at the down trend of 2000-02, you will notice several instances where the indices climbed back above their 200 day MA, only to fall below that line several days/weeks later. This is all part of the markets movement. It is a good idea to study the past charts. Nothing really changes. The same raw human emotions that governed the market since its inception still control it to this day. Nothing changes except the players and the name of the stocks. Although I am mostly painting a pessimistic picture, one needs to look at the situation in the right context. Sure, it is a lot harder to make a decent return on the long side, but even in a down trend, when the market bounces, there are always a small handful of longs to take advanatage of. This is always true. Not all stocks go up or down in either market trend. In fact, it is probably easier to find good stocks to go long in down turns since they are easier to spot. These are just a few things to keep in mind while you navigate this market.

6 Comments:

At 12:33 AM , Blogger Chad said...

Good history perspective. First round of actual year earnings weren't all that miserable for most. Things might get really shaken up over the next three months though.

I've been out of play, on business, for the last month. My longs stood strong (God love AAPL!), but I'm worried for the next quarter.

-Chad.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger Yre said...

Silver is knockced down heavily lately. I am accumulating silver bullion and some stocks like CDE.
Nick, do you have any silver stocks that are knocked down heavily. Silver mining companies charts that are looking like they are going down further ?

MFN is attractive at this price.
EPZ.V is also attractive.

Thanks,

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Chad,

It may have been a good thing that you were too busy to become preoccupied with this market. It has been epsecially hard finding good stocks to go long. I have to say, I am impressed with AAPL's bounce off its lows. The same thing happened to a lot of stocks such as DECK. It reminds me how stretched out a top in a stock can be. By the way, have you taken a look at VSCI? Hard to believe that VSCI has revigorated itself. I rebought some VSCI on the stength of its bounce off of the 50 day MA. So far so good. Anyway, good luck with AAPL and any of your other positions.

 
At 12:38 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Yre,

Are you trying to go long or short the silver stocks?? I can't think of any attractive silver plays off the top of my head. I took a look at the those stocks that you have mentioned but I do not like them as longs. CDE is in a downtrend and the other ones that you mentioned have not bottomed out. I like to play stocks that have fully bottomed out and set up a strong base. That is why I missed SWC and PAL. I know it sounds silly but although I knew both of those stocks would appreciate in value (for a few weeks), I still avoided them. Anyway, thats just me and my strategy.

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Chad said...

I just looked at VSCI. Delightful! Too extended for me just right now but, looking back, it shouldn't be long until it drops back into my buying zone.

...Let's just see how the fed rattles traders tomorrow.

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger Nick M. said...

Chad,

So far, everything is quiet. Tomorrow should be more volatile. And yes, VSCI is a bit extended. I will add more to my position if it comes down to the 10 day MA. I just hope that VSCI performs better this time. So far so good. I'm dreading earnings though. They better not delay their earnings report this time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz